Opel India Private Limited (OIPL) is part of the General Motors India Private Limited. They shot to prominence by manufacturing cars from a small family car (Opel Astra), D-segment large family car (Opel Vectra), to Supermini B-segment car (Opel Corsa). OIPL became defunct in 2006 and was replaced by Chevrolet in 2010. Currently, the company doesn’t manufacture cars in India. That’s why you’ll not find brand new Opel cars in the country. You’re more likely to bump on buyers with Opel used cars. Since 2010, OIPL is providing the existing Opel car owners with spare parts and vehicle service facilities. As the spare parts for these cars are still available, you are likely to get decent resale value for your Opel used cars in India.
Quick Facts About Opel
- Opel is basically a German automobile manufacturer. Currently, it is a subsidiary of French carmaker Groupe PSA.
- Earlier, from 1929-2017, Opel was a part of US-based auto giant General Motors (GM).
- Adam Opel, the founder of Opel, initially started the company as a sewing machine manufacturer in 1862.
- In 1886, the company started producing bicycles, while the first automobile was manufactured in 1899.
- In 1929, after seizing a majority stake in Opel, General Motors took full control of the company in 1931.
- With the acquisition of Opel, the French automaker Groupe PSA is the #2 car manufacturer in Europe, after Volkswagen.
Opel - Resale Value
Since 2006, no new Opel car is manufactured or sold in the country. There are no new cars available in the market from the Opel’s stable. However, as the market for used cars is gaining new heights, there is a huge second-hand car market for Opel brand cars too. Vehicle servicing and spare parts of these cars are still available. That’s why Opel second-hand cars still have a significant resale value in India.
When you go to sell used Opel car, there are many factors that determine the resale price. Some of these factors include:
- Model of the car
- Manufacturing year of the car
- The condition of the car (Excellent, Good, Fair, or Poor)
- Miles run by the car
- How many owners owned the car?
Here is an average estimate of the Opel Corsa cars –
- If you have a well maintained used 2004, Opel Corsa, then it can fetch you around Rs. 79,000 to Rs. 85,000.
- While a fair condition used 2006 Opel Corsa can get you nearly Rs. 1,20,000 to Rs. 1,28,000.
Here is an average estimate of the Opel Astra cars (1.7 GL) –
- A fair condition used 2001 Opel Astra will get you about Rs. 49,000 to Rs. 53,000.
- A decent condition used 2003 Opel Astra can obtain you Rs. 86,000 to Rs. 92,000 approx.
Here is an average estimate of the Opel Vectra cars (2.2 Comfort) –
- The premium saloon Opel Vectra 2001 used model can fetch you around Rs. 45,000 to Rs. 48,000.
- Moreover, if the upkeep is good, a used 2005 Opel Vectra will get you roughly Rs. 1,76,000 to Rs. 1,87,000.
One of the main challenges you’ll face when you sell second hand Opel car is the fact that these cars have become defunct. The resale value you’ll get may not be as desired. To get the best price, you can log on to CARS24 or visit their nearest branch and get the advantage of the live online auction. There are over 10,000 authorized buyer network of CARS24 and the highest bidder gets the car. If you want to sell Opel car, you can get the best resale value from CARS24.
Current Opel Cars In India - Listing Of Opel Cars
There were 3 car models manufactured by Opel India Private Limited. As the company is defunct now, all the models are discontinued. These car models are –
- Opel Astra – It was manufactured from 1996 to 2003. This car model came with seven types of trims and they are 1.7 Club, 1.7 Advantage, 1.7 GL, 1.6 Advantage, 1.6 GLI, 1.6 Club AT, and 1.6 Club.
- Opel Vectra – It was manufactured from 2003 to 2005. This car model came with one type of trim and it is 2.2 Comfort.
- Opel Corsa – It was manufactured from 2003-2006. This car model came with four types of trims and they are 1.4 GSi, 1.6 GLS, Sail 1.4, and Sail 1.6.
In its initial phase, Opel produced sewing machines and later in 1886 launched high-wheel bicycles aka penny-farthings. At the beginning of the 1920s, Opel went on to become the first German car maker to integrate a mass-production assembly line in the production of its cars. Overwhelmed, the advanced production facilities in 1929, General Motors (GM) acquired 80 percent of the company shares and took over entirely in 1931 with 100 percent shares. Opel was the only German car manufacturer to reach the magical figure of producing 100,000 vehicles a year in 1935. After staying with GM from 1929–2017, it is now a subsidiary of French multinational automaker Groupe PSA. Currently, Opel brand cars are sold in the UK under the Vauxhall brand.
Opel – What Makes It Unique?
The German brand not only manufactures passenger cars, but also produces light commercial vehicles, and vehicle components, and with its British sibling brand, Vauxhall, they mark their presence in more than 50 countries globally. And Opel has been in the car making the field for more than 150 years.
The company has great expertise in car manufacturing and with the changing times has always embraced modern techniques and tools. That is the reason it has a flourishing brand image in the automobile world. The Opel brand vehicles possess solid built quality, advanced engine technologies, and futuristic design engineering.
The Opel cars launched in India were advance in terms of technology inside out. The performance factor too was pretty decent however could not meet the Indian consumer’s mindset of inexpensive or value for money cars. The Opel cars catered to the family segment. Opel Astra was a C-segment sedan, meant for the small families. Opel Vectra, on the other hand, was a premium presentation for people looking for luxury, comfort, and space. Although the cars were good when it came to driving dynamics, the affordability and maintenance killed this brand.
Sell Used Opel Cars in India
Prices of these Opel used cars not only vary due to change in model names and years but also on the basis of trims selected. You can get a better understanding of the issue as well as the Opel car second-hand price by visiting one of the 120+ branches of CARS24 and evaluating the condition of your car from one of their professionals.
Opel cars are now discontinued in India. You’ll find many Opel pre-owned cars across India. If you want to sell your second hand OPEL car, you can get a decent resale value. Depending upon the car model, condition, mileage, and myriad other conditions, the Opel car second-hand price can vary from Rs. 45,000 to Rs. 1,92,000. As the company has become non-operational you may find it difficult to find genuine buyers. That why it’s best to visit CARS24 and get the best possible price. Their auction process enables you to get the best resale value from their over 10,000 genuine buyers.