SsangYong Motor Company has a presence in over 90 countries across the globe. SsangYong-Mahindra collaboration has emerged as one of the most important associations in the Indian automobile market. SsangYong is a leading manufacturer of automobiles in South Korea and is especially famed for its range of crossovers. In India, Mahindra & Mahindra (M&M)-acquired SsangYong brand is known for producing Sports Utility Vehicles (SUVs) that are known for their off-road capabilities. After the acquisition of SsangYong, Mahindra launched luxury SUV named Rexton in India. Although, it did not enjoy much of success in terms of sales numbers, among the premium SUV lovers SsangYong used cars or SsangYong second-hand cars are still in demand.
Quick facts about SsangYong
- By late 70s, SsangYong (then Dong-A Motor) was a leading supplier of military utility vehicles to the US military.
- In 1991, Daimler-Benz collaborated with SsangYong to create Musso - a heavy duty SUV. This made SsangYong gain substantial footholds in the global SUV market.
- In 2004, Chinese automobile giant SAIC acquired 51% venture stake in Ssangyong.
- In February 2011, M&M acquired 70% stake in the SsangYong and by 2015, ‘Tivoli’- the first SUV under M&M’s ownership was launched in South Korea.
- Mahindra Alturas G4 (originally fourth generation SsangYong Rexton) launched in India in the year 2018, in a diesel-only variant.
- With 490 dealerships and presence in 328 Indian cities, the network for the SsangYong brand is expected to grow handsomely, courtesy M&M sales and service network.
SsangYong – Resale Value
The varied vehicle range under the SsangYong brand is known for its durability and charismatic style. As the Korean giant is a new name to Indian masses, hence SsangYong used cars do not claim high resale value in India. The maintenance and upkeep factor for the SsangYong cars works against it. Another drawback is the high spare parts costs and availability aspect.
However, still to some extent, owing to its fit and finished levels and reliable Mahindra tag, they are favored in the SUV category. Being exclusively designed for on road and off road functionality, SsangYong cars offer an experience of dominance. Although the number of specific service centers is limited, however, with Mahindra holding one end, the brand SsangYong may see good times ahead in terms of resale value. As M&M is one of the most trusted brands, SsangYong will derive benefits in near future, which will also help bring up the pre-owned SsangYong car market.
SsangYong came into existence with the collaboration of two motor companies - Ha Dong-hwan Motor Workshop, established in 1954 and Dongbang Motor Co., established in 1962. This alliance was given the name Ha Dong-hwan Motor Co. The degree of expertise was visible even then and Ha Dong-hwan Motor Co. soon emerged as a leading manufacturer of military utility vehicles, buses, and trucks. With a makeover in 1977, the brand was changed to Dong-A Motor. After the formal establishment of SsangYong in 1986, it launched the first gen Rexton in 2001 and Rodius, the 7-seater multi-purpose vehicle in 2004. The journey today has encompassed continents and countries and in India, SsangYong is a subsidiary of the M&M Group.
SsangYong – What Makes It Unique?
- Styling: SsangYong cars are globally known for their high styling quotient. The off-roaders under SsangYong’s portfolio come with a unique and unparalleled sense of distinct styling and associated features. This is one of the reasons that it is easy to sell Ssangyong used cars.
- Practicality for the price: SsangYong cars, even in the used condition are noted for the economical prices. One of the key features of SsangYong used and new cars is that they offer practicality in lieu of their prices while offering a luxurious driving experience every time.
- Off-road functionality: Built for superior performance amid rough road conditions and durable experience, SsangYong cars offer robust capabilities under diverse conditions.
- Favorable market trends: With the increase in the purchasing power of average Indians, the demand for premium SUVs has increased (besides hatchbacks and small cars) in recent times.
So, if you are an SUV buff and looking to try a hand at luxury SUV, but have a limited budget, then an old SsangYong Rexton can be the perfect luxury SUV for you to get behind the wheel and taste the premiums and capability quotient.
Current SsangYong Cars in India - Listing of SsangYong cars
There are only two trims of SsangYong Rexton SUV available in India.
- Mahindra SsangYong Rexton RX7 AT– The automatic variant with 2696 cc XDI diesel engine (184 bhp) delivers an ARAI certified mileage of 11.18 kmpl and offers features like power steering, passenger airbags, touch screen infotainment, leather seats, 475-liter cargo volume, and double wishbone front suspension.
- Mahindra SsangYong Rexton RX6 MT – Powered by the same diesel engine, as seen in RX7, it gets features like dual tone beige & black interiors, electric sunroof with tilt/open function and sunblind, automatic headlamps, 8-way electrically adjustable driver seat, modish 10-spoke 16" alloy wheels and many more.
Sell Used SsangYong Cars in India
With the developmental shift towards the middle class and the general increase in the quality of living index across India, the frequency of switching cars has increased in recent years. This has directly impacted the market for pre-owned and used cars. Not only has this proven to be beneficial from the general business perspective, but it has also ensured that there is greater customer-focus. This has become evident in the fact that the quality and utility of used cars is almost at par with that of the new ones today. So for sellers of old SsangYong cars, this shift could not have come at a better time.
There has been a gradual increase in the number of used SsangYong showrooms, where the used SsangYong valuation is directly in line with the quality, condition, and attributes of the vehicle. Besides the offline used SsangYong showrooms, there are online portals which serve as e-business points of contact and where the used SsangYong resale value can be checked. Here, CARS24 serves as an ideal online platform where online assured deals are readily available for those who wish to sell Ssangyong second-hand cars. The expertise of professional advice helps you in taking a coherent and informed decision.
Also, if you have got one Ssangyong Rexton in your garage, then this is the right time to sell it. Because, if not maintained well, diesel vehicles start to lose a bit on the performance and frugality after 80,000-100,000 km and require overhauling of the engine. This opens the door for expenses every now and then. That’s why it is said to sell your car after a specific period. And currently, the Ssangyong cars in India are diesel driven hence they have got limited lifespan, which strongly advocates the fact that they should be sold after a time period.