Driving Licence Kerala – Driving Licence Online & Offline Apply in Kerala
It’s quite easy to obtain a Driving Licence (DL) in Kerala if you know the procedure that should be followed. The DL is a mandatory document for anyone who wishes to use a motor vehicle on the public roads and here, we have described how to obtain a driving licence in Kerala. We have also told you how to obtain an international driving permit and how to renew the driving license in Kerala.
Also read – Learning Licence Kerala – Learning Licence Online & Offline Apply in Kerala
Types of Driving Licence (DL) in Kerala (KL)
Like everywhere else, even in Kerala, there are three types of driving licences and you need to apply for one based on the type of vehicle you need to use. Following are the available categories-
- Driving license for a motorcycle without gear: If you have to ride a motorcycle or a scooter without gear, you should apply for this kind of DL.
- Driving license for light motor vehicles: If you want to ride a two-wheeler with gears or drive a light motor vehicle such as cars, SUVs or MPVs, you need to apply for this kind of licence.
- Driving license issued for transport vehicles: In case you wish to drive heavy motor vehicles that transport goods or passengers, you need to obtain this DL.
Kerala (KL) Driving Licence (DL) – Eligibility Criteria
For being eligible to obtain a driving licence in Kerala, an applicant needs to meet the following conditions-
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Must have a learner’s license for a minimum of 30 days but not for more than 180 days
- Must know all the traffic rules and regulations.
- Must be 20 years of age or old for getting a commercial driving license.
Documents Required for Driving Licence in Kerala
On applying for a driving licence in Kerala, one must submit a self-attested copy of the following documents to the RTO –
One from below documents for verifying age-
- Birth Certificate
- Educational certificate
- Certificate issued from the employer if you are working for state/ central government or a local body.
One from below documents for verifying address-
- Ration card
- Voter’s ID
- LIC policy bond
- Employers certificate issued by local/central or state government
- Application form 4
- Application form 5 in case of applying for a commercial driving license
- Original learner’s license
- Three passport size photographs
How to Apply for Driving Licence Offline in Kerala (KL)?
If you plan to apply for permanent driving license offline in Kerala, you are required to go through the following steps-
- Step 1: Visit the nearest RTO and obtain an application form
- Step 2: You can also download the form from the official website and submit the printed copy at the nearest RTO.
- Step 3: Fill the following details:
- Full Name
- Father’s Name
- Residential Address
- Educational Qualification
- Date of Birth
- Place of Birth
- Blood Group
- Identification Mark
- Step 4: Provide proof of address, age and passport-size photos.
- Step 5: Secure an appointment for the first round of test in which your knowledge of traffic rules will be analyzed.
- Step 6: On passing the test, you will receive a learner’s license. You can then apply for a permanent licence after a minimum of 30 days and a maximum of 180 days of getting the learner’s licence.
How to Apply for Driving Licence Online in Kerala?
If you need to apply for a permanent driving licence online in Kerala, then the following steps are required to be followed-
- Step1: Go to kerala.gov.in/transport-department and get the application form and print it
- Step 2: Submit the completed form at the RTO
- Step 3: Submit all the necessary documents
- Step 4: You will get a slot for the driving test
- Step 5: On successfully completing the test, you will obtain your license in 2 to 3 weeks
Steps to Check Driving Licence Application Status Online in Kerala:
Also read – Driving Licence Status Online
Steps to check driving licence status online through State Transport Department website:
There are two ways to verify the driving licence application status. One is through the State Transport Department’s official website. Other is through the official website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highway. For the first method, the below procedure needs to be followed
- Step 1: Visit the official website of the Transport Department of Kerala
- Step 2: Click on ‘DL and LL registration’ option.
- Step 3: A new page will load, in which, click on ‘Know your application status’.
- Step 4: Enter your application number
- Step 5: Click on the ‘Submit’ button and you will be shown the status of your application.
Steps to check driving licence status online through the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways official website:
- Step 1: Visit parivahan.gov.in.
- Step 2: Click on ‘Driving license-related services’.
- Step 3: Select the state you reside in.
- Step 4: On the new page that loads, click on ‘Verify status’ option
- Step 5: Enter your application number and date of birth.
- Step 6: Fill in the correct captcha code.
- Step 7: You will be shown the status of your driving license.
How to Apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Kerala?
Documents required while applying for a duplicate driving license in Kerala:
In case you have to apply for a duplicate driving licence in Kerala, the below documents need to be given to the RTO-
- Application form LLD
- FIR copy will be required if the DL is stolen
- Challan clearance report given by the traffic police in case of commercial driving license
- Form 1
- Copy of Age and address proof documents.
- Copy of Original licence
- License number if the license is stolen
- The photocopied documents are required to be attested by a gazetted officer or notary public.
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Kerala:
Once you have submitted the aforementioned documents to the RTO, you an apply for a duplicate copy of driving licence through the below procedure-
- Step 1: Submit the completed form LLD at the RTO.
- Step 2: Submit a fee of Rs. 200
- Step 3: On successful verification, a duplicate driving license will be given
If you don’t remember your DL number, you will have to apply for a new driving licence. Also, you need to apply for a duplicate driving licence within 30 days of loss of the original copy.
How to Renew Driving Licence in Kerala?
The driving licence dor a non-transport vehicle is valid for 20 years from the date of issue or until the holder attains the age of 50 years, whichever comes first. After this, one needs to get his licence renewed every 5 years. On the other hand, the driving licence for a transport vehicle is valid for 3 years from the date of issue or renewal. .
Documents required for renewal of driving license in KL:
- Filled application form 9
- A copy of the expired driver’s licence.
- Medical certificate and Form 1 A if the driver’s age is more than 40 years
- 2 passport size photographs.
- Self-attested copies of age proof and address proof.
- Application fee of Rs.200/- and receipt.
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Kerala:
- Step 1: Visit the RTO website and select the tab for renewal.
- Step 2: Apply for the renewal and pay the fees of Rs.200/- for the smart card driving licence issued in Kerala
- Step 3: Submit the necessary documents to expedite the request quicker. As soon as the documents will be verified, you will be issued the new driving licence.
- Step 1: Collect the form from the RTO
- Step 2: Fill and submit the form along with the relevant documents at the RTO
- Step 3: On verification of the documents, the applicant will be issued the renewed license on the same day.
- Step 1: Visit the official transport website of Kerala government
- Step 2: Download the form and print it
- Step 3: Submit the filled form along with the required documents at the RTO office.
- On successful verification of the documents, a driving license will be issued.
How to apply for an International Driving Licence in Kerala?
You can apply for an international driving licence at any RTO across the state of Kerala. The international DL is valid for 12 months. While you won’t be required to hold a permanent driving licence to apply for an international permit, it’s mandatory to have a permanent driving licence of India to apply for an international permit. Also, a fee of Rs 500 will be required to be paid.
Documents required for getting an International Driving License in Kerala:
The following documents are to be submitted along with an application for obtaining an international driving licence in Kerala
- Valid proof of nationality
- Attested copy of the valid driving license, passport and visa
- Attested copy of a valid residence proof
- Five passport-sized photos
- Medical Form 1-A
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Kerala:
- Step 1: In order to get the driving licence renewed, you need to visit the RTO website and select the tab for renewal.
- Step 2: Apply for the renewal and pay the fees of Rs.200/- for the smart card driving licence that is issued in Kerala
- Step 3: Submit the necessary documents. You will be issued the new driving licence as soon as your documents are verified
Driving Test Procedure in Kerala:
Like at all RTOs across the country, even in Kerala, a Motor Vehicle Inspector overlooks the driving tests for the permanent licence. Whether you have applied for a DL online or offline, one should take his own vehicle to the test. It should be of the same type for which the DL is required. In case one doesn’t have his own vehicle, he can take a motor vehicle from the driving school to the RTO.
Test for Two-Wheeler & Three-Wheeler:
The applicant for a DL for two-wheeler or three-wheeler has to ride his or her vehicle within a given border and make ‘Eight’ figure without touching the poles embedded at the corners. The inspector will even analyse how comfortably the applicant can change gears, control the vehicle in corners or reversing, and during the making of ‘figure of eight’ without the feet touching the ground. In case the applicant is successful in satisfying the inspector, he is given approval for a road test where he or she should ride properly for some distance on a public road.
Test for Four Wheeler:
The applicant of a permanent DL for a four wheeler is required to drive along the marked ‘H’ without touching the columns. Once the applicant has satisfied the inspected with his driving skills, he or she is required to drive properly for some distance on a public road. In case a candidate fails in either of the tests, a re-test is conducted within 7 days and a nominal fee is charged.
Tips for Clearing Your Driving Test:
- Practice in advance so that you are confident of your driving skills.
- Arrive a little early for the test
- Don’t turn off the bike or car till it has come to a total halt.
- Shift gears smoothly.
- Use both side and rear mirrors while riding.
- While turning, show an indicator and hand signal.
- The Driving test should not last more than 15 mins.
- An RTO officer will be present to see how well you drive. While driving the car, he will sit beside you to check the movement of the clutch and gear.
Q: How can I check my driving license status in Kerala?
A: The status of a driving license application in Kerala can be checked online on keralamvd.gov.in/index.php/license.
Q: What are the documents required for addition of a new class to driving license?
A: For the addition of a new class of vehicle to a driving license, the following documents will be required to be submitted to the RTO:
1. Valid driving license
2. Effective learner’s license
3. Application form 8
4. Form 1 and Form 1A
5. Driving license certificate form 5
6. Fee receipt of Rs. 500, Rs. 250 for the card and a service charge of Rs. 50.
Q: Is smart card DL available in Kerala?
A: Yes, the smart card DL is available in the state of Kerala.
Q: What is the application fee for obtaining a driving license in Kerala?
A: In Kerala, the application fee for obtaining a driving license is Rs. 200 .
Q: How can I change my driving license test date in Kerala?
A: You can change the date of your driving licence test at www.keralamvd.gov.in/index.php/license2. You can also visit the nearest RTO and get the date changed there.