What if the Registration Certificate (RC) of my car is about to expire?
20 Mar 2019

What if the Registration Certificate (RC) of my car is about to expire?

Team CARS24
Est. Reading Time:
4 mins

What if the Registration Certificate (RC) of my car is about to expire?

Team CARS24

Here is a step by step guide on how to renew car’s Registration Certificate (RC) and re-registration process for inter-state vehicle transfer

Under the Motor Vehicle Act of 1988, any motor vehicle that is meant to be used on public roads should have a valid registration, which is received through the payment of road tax. However, the registration certificate or the RC needs to be renewed after 15 years from the date of its original issuance. After that, the vehicle registration can be renewed every five years as long as it is deemed fit by the RTO.

Steps required for the renewal of Registration Certificate (RC)

Following are the steps required to renew a registration certificate by repaying the road tax-

  • Obtain a Form 25 and fill in the required details
  • The filled and duly signed form needs to be then submitted to the RTO under which the vehicle was first registered
  • You might need to pay some taxes levied on the vehicle by the RTO. If so, make the required payment at the spot
  • As per Rule 81 of Centre Motor Vehicles Rules 1989, you will also need to pay a feel for the renewal process of the renewal of the registration certificate of the car

Also Read – My Car RC Has Hypothecation But Loan Is Already Paid Off. How To Remove HP From RC?

Documents required for renewal of your car’s Registration Certificate (RC)

There are some documents that you will be required to submit along with the Form 25 to get the renewal procedure of the registration certificate to be initiated. They are –

  • Completed Form 25
  • Pollution Under Control certificate obtained from the Government-recognized PUC-check centre
  • The original Registration Certificate smart card or RC book
  • Valid insurance policy of the vehicle
  • A copy of the vehicle owner’s PAN card or Form 60 or Form 61, whichever is applicable
  • The pencil print of the engine and chassis number of the vehicle whose RC needs to be renewed
  • A document that shows the signature identification of the owner of the car

Car Registration Process For Inter-State Vehicle Transfer

Other than the renewal of car registration certificate after 15 years of ownership, one even needs to re-register the vehicle in case he shifts to another Indian state for than a year. When transferring car RC from one state to another, one needs to keep in mind two factors – Status of Vehicle Hypothecation and Road Tax. In case the Registration Certificate carries financer’s hypothecation, you will be required to obtain a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the financer getting your car registered in a new state. The car owner might be required to pay the road tax to the state he is moving to at the depreciated value of the vehicle. In case the new state of registration has a lower road tax, you will be eligible for a refund of some of the tax you originally paid.

What if the Registration Certificate (RC) of my car is about to expire?

Steps Involved In Re-Registration of a Vehicle

Step 1: Obtain A No Objection Certificate (NOC)

  • You need to submit a self-declaration affidavit on a stamp paper of Rs 10 and attested by a Notary. In this document, you are required to declare that all the vehicle-related documents are genuine and you have no dues pending against the vehicle.
  • You will also be required to obtain a NOC from the National Crime Record Bureau (NCRB) that states that the car is not stolen.
  • In case you still have an active loan, you’ll be required to obtain a Form 35 from the financer.
  • Obtain a NOC from the original RTO by submitting three duly filled copies of Form 27, 28 along with No Objection Certificates from NCRB, Traffic Police, and the financer.
  • Other than this, you also need to submit a valid insurance policy, Pollution Under Control (PUC) Certificate, Smart Card copy, Chassis imprint copy, identity proof, and address proof.
  • On completion of the above steps, the original RTO will issue an interstate vehicle transfer NOC within 2-3 weeks.

Also Read – Wondering How to Sell a Car with a Damaged RC? We can help

Step 2: Arrange Documents

You will be required to obtain some documents to de-register your vehicle in the original state and re-register it in the new state. They are-

  • Original copies of a valid insurance policy, Smart RC Card, Pollution Under Control (PUC) Certificate
  • Original Invoice of the vehicle, which is necessary for the RTO to calculate the depreciated value of the vehicle

Step 3: Re-Registration And Payment of Road Tax

Once all the necessary documents have been obtained, your vehicle needs to be physically present in the new state of residence before you can apply for the new registration certificate and pay the road tax. For completing this process, you will be required to submit the following documents to the RTO-

  • A valid Insurance Policy
  • Pollution Under Control (PUC) Certificate
  • Original Smart Card
  • Chassis Number Imprint
  • Vehicle Invoice
  • Identity And Address Proof (Any of the following: Aadhar Card/PAN Card/Ration Card, New address proof
  • Self-attested affidavit as per the RTO requirement
  • 2-4 passport sized photographs
  • NOC documents along with duly filled Forms 27 and 28
  • Road Tax Receipt for assessment of tax amount
  • Form 20 with the re-registration application
  • Details of new address can be submitted in Form 33
  • In case you own a used vehicle, you even need to submit the documents related to the transfer of the car’s ownership.
  • Once your vehicle has been registered in the new state, you can apply for a tax refund from the original state.

Also Read – Can I Sell My Car Without Insurance Cover? – We Explain!

Are you planning to sell your used car? We, at CARS24, can give you a good price for your second-hand vehicle. Visit us at CARS24.com or call us @ 1800 258 5656 to sell your car in 1 visit.