A Quick Guide to Selling Your Car Interstate

A Quick Guide to Selling Your Car Interstate

A Quick Guide to Selling Your Car Interstate

If you’re thinking of selling your car beyond the borders of the state it is registered in, you may be wondering how to go about it. Selling a car in another state can help you get a better deal and reach a broader market. Or maybe you’ve happened to find an interested seller for your make and model, but in another part of the country! In any of these scenarios, knowing the process of selling a car in another state is important. 

In this guide, we will provide you with essential tips and steps to effectively sell your car in another state while maximising your chances of a profitable and hassle-free experience.

What is an Interstate Car?

An interstate car is a vehicle registered in one state but being sold or used in another state. When you plan to sell or transfer a car interstate, you need to follow specific guidelines and procure the necessary documents to comply with the legal requirements of both the current and new state you’re relocating to.

What Documents Do I Require to Sell a Car Interstate?

You require the following documents to sell your car interstate:

Individual Documents Required
PAN CardOne Self-Attested Copy
Address ProofOne Self-Attested Copy
Passport Size PhotographsTwo Self-Attested Copies
RTO Documents Required To Sell Car
Form 28Three Copies With Chassis Imprint
Form 29Two Copies
Form 30Two Copies
Form 35 and NOCOne Copy With Bank Stamp On Form 35
Sale AffidavitOne Copy
Clearance CertificateOne Copy
Car  Documents Required
Application of Insurance TransferOnly required if  insurance is to be transferred to the buyer
Invoice of the carOnly required if there is mismatch in the RC details
Ownership Manual
Duplicate Car Keys
Additional RTO Documents Required To Sell A Car Interstate
NOC from the RTO in which car is registered originallyMandatory
Road Tax receipt of the new state in which the vehicle is registeredMandatory

How to sell your car and get it registered in a new state?

To sell your car and get it registered in a new state, you need to transfer your RC via the online or offline process. Here are the steps to do so:

Step 1: Scan the following documents to upload them during the registration process

It’s important to keep these documents scanned and handy before you begin the registration process:

  • ID & Address Proof of Buyer and Seller
  • Before the initiation of the online RC transfer of the car’s ownership, keep scanned copies or images of the following documents.
  • Duly filled and signed Form 29
  • Duly filled and signed Form 30
  • Registration certificate of the vehicle 
  • Valid car Insurance
  • Registration certificate of the vehicle 

Step 2: Procure a NOC (No Objection Certificate) from the traffic department.

If the car you’ve purchased is registered outside your RTO, you need to get the car unregistered from its existing/original RTO. Here’s how you can do this:

  • If the car isn’t registered in any of the RTOs, you’ll have to procure a Form 29 from the original RTO.
  • Download these forms here: Form 28 and Form 29
  • Procure a NOC by submitting Form 28/29 to the original RTO by visiting the official Parivahan Sewa website and selecting: Online Services >> Vehicle-related Services.
  • Select your state, registered RTO, and click on Apply for Transfer of Ownership, Change of Address, Hypothecation [Addition/Continuation/Termination], Duplicate RC).
  • Now you can view all the details of your vehicle here.

Step 3: Fill out the form for RC Transfer and pay the required fees.

  • Enter your vehicle details, new owner details, scanned copies of IDs, and address proof. And upload Form 29, form 30, and Vehicle Insurance. Then pay the RC transfer fees online which is around ₹300.
  • If the car has an active loan hypothecation, then you need to confirm whether you possess the RTO form 35 and Bank NOC. If you don’t, both Hypothecation Termination and Transfer of Ownership need to be assessed.
  • Once you have filled out the form, book an appointment to submit the hard copies of the required documents at the RTO for further verification.
  • Make the online payment of ₹300
  • After you’ve paid the fee, your payment receipt will be generated alongside Forms 29 and 30.

Step 4: Visit the RTO on the date of your appointment

You will require hard copies of the following documents at the RTO:

  • Original registration certificate (Smart Card)
  • Valid Car Insurance
  • Pollution under control (PUC) certificate
  • 2 Passport Size Photographs of the Buyer (not required in all RTOs, however still advisable to be taken)
  • Buyer ID proof & Address proof
  • Buyer PAN is Required if the transaction value is more than ₹50,000
  • Seller ID & address proof
  • Blank Envelope with Name and Address of Buyer along with seller ID proof
  • Printed copies of online fees payment receipts and forms 29, and 30 duly signed by both buyers and seller

Step 5: RTO Verification for the new RC 

If all the given documents such as the duly filled RTO Form, signatures, IDs and address proofs match and are compliant with the RTO’s norms, a registration certificate (Smart Card) will be dissipated by the RTO in favour of the buyer within a week (7 business days).

Note: In case of a discrepancy, the RTO officer will send a letter to the seller to be present at the RTO alongside the buyer for physical verification (party peshi).

If you wish to complete an RC transfer offline, here’s what you need to do:

Step 1: Procure a NOC (No Objection Certificate) from the traffic department.

If the car you’ve purchased is registered outside your RTO, you need to get the car unregistered from its existing/original RTO. Here’s how you can do this:

  • If the car isn’t registered in any of the RTOs, you’ll have to procure a Form 29 from the original RTO.
  • Download these forms here: Form 28 and Form 29

Step 2 – Visit the RTO with all required documents

Once you have obtained the NOC, you can begin the car ownership transfer process by submitting the following documents to your local RTO.

  • Original vehicle registration certificate
  • Duly filled Form 29
  • Duly filled Form 30
  • Copy of valid insurance
  • Attested copy of address proof of buyer
  • Copy of valid pollution under control certificate (PUC)
  • Copy of G.I.R
  • Pan Card
  • Bank NOC
  • 2 copies of Form 35 (In case the car was under loan / hypothecated)

Step 3- Document submission

Once you’ve submitted the required documents, you need to pay the RC transfer fee of ₹300. This process takes 30 working days to conclude if all your documents comply with the RTO’s norms.

Step 4 – Re-registration of your car

Once you receive the NOC from the original RTO, you need to apply for the re-registration of your car at your new RTO. Here are the documents you will need:

  • Original registration of the vehicle (of another state)
  • Form 20
  • NOC from previous RTO
  • Form 27
  • Form 33
  • Attested copy of address proof
  • Attested copy of the valid driving licence of the car owner
  • Attested copy of PUC Certificate
  • PAN Card, Form 60, or Form 61
  • Your passport-size photos
  • NOC from the lender bank if the vehicle is under a loan 

Step 5 – Pay the Road Tax

You will have to pay road tax to get the car registered in a new state. This amount is calculated based on the price of the car mentioned on the original invoice. 

Once you pay the road tax, you can claim a refund of the road tax paid by the car’s previous owner. This amount is refunded based on the original price of the car and its age. To get this amount reimbursed, please submit the following documents at the RTO:

  • Application for road tax refund
  • Updated and signed Form 16 (Form16: your salary certificate from the employer)
  • Copy of the new registration certificate
  • Copy of the old registration certificate
  • Insurance policy with new registration number
  • Proof of ID
  • Address proof

Moved without completing existing formalities? Here’s what you need to do!

If you have moved to another state without completing the due formalities or did not get your vehicle registered in the new state, here are some steps you can follow:

NOC obtained but RC transfer not done

If you have obtained an NOC but haven’t transferred your vehicle, you have to visit the RTO and get your NOC cancelled. This is done by paying the NOC cancellation fee.

Road tax not paid

If you have obtained the NOC from your previous RTO and have been driving your car in a new state for a considerable time without paying road tax, you need to submit a non-migration certificate along with the penalty as per the new state’s norms.

Selling your vehicle in the new state

You would need to submit the NOC to the new state’s RTO along with the road tax receipt.  

NMC and NOC Charges 

StatesNMCNOC Cancellation
Amount*(In ₹)Validity(In Days)Amount*(In Rs.)Validity(In Days)

*In Delhi, NOC cannot be cancelled for cars registered before 2008
*In Karnataka, NOC can be cancelled for all cars

The road tax charges vary according to your vehicle’s cost. The cost that is taken into account is the ex-showroom price of the vehicle. Here is a list of road tax for some states and the additional costs that might incur.  

StateRoad Tax*Additional Fee*
Andhra Pradesh<10L- 12%>10L- 14%<10L- 12%>10L- 14%+2% RTO tax if you are buying the second vehicle in AP
Chandigarh<20L-6%>20L- 8%<20L-6%>20L- 8%    –
Delhi<6L-4%6-10L-7%>10L-10%<6L-5%6-10L-8.75%>10L-12.5%Municipal corporation parking charges may apply<4L – 2000>4L – 4000
Haryana<6L-5%6-20L-8%>20L-10%<6L-5%6-20L-8%>20L-10%Regional charges may apply as per the village/ town.
Karnataka<5L-15%5-10L-16%10-20L-19%>20L-20%<5L-15%5-10L-16%10-20L-19%>20L-20%<5L – 15%5-10L – 16%10-20L – 19%>20L – 20%
Maharashtra<10L-9%10-20L-10%>20-11%<10L-11%10-20L-12%>20-13%For CNG-<10L – 5%10-20L – 6%
Punjab6% for all vehicles6% for all vehicles
Uttar Pradesh<10L- 8L<10L- 8LAdditional charges may apply

Need assistance? We’ve got you!

Leaving town soon and need to sell your car interstate? We have you covered! Sell your car hassle-free at CARS24 and get expert assistance throughout. From doorstep pickup to documentation, our team is here to help you sell your car seamlessly any time you skip town!


Q. Can I drive my car in another state in India without an NOC?

No, you cannot legally drive your car in another state in India without obtaining a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the Regional Transport Office (RTO). The NOC serves as permission to drive the vehicle in a different state and ensures compliance with the rules and regulations of that particular state’s transport authority.

Q. How long can I drive my car in another state in India?

The duration for which you can drive your car in another state in India varies. Generally, you are allowed to drive your vehicle in another state for a limited period, typically ranging from 30 to 90 days. It is advisable to check the specific regulations of the state you plan to drive in to ensure compliance with their rules.

Q. What will happen if my NOC expires?

If the NOC for your vehicle expires, you will no longer have permission to drive your car in the state for which the NOC was issued. Driving without a valid NOC can lead to legal consequences, including fines and penalties imposed by the traffic authorities.